Wednesday, November 20, 2013

September with Linda


Sorry! Mason hasn't updated in a long time so I've taken matters into my own hands...

Let’s start with September:

The most monumental thing that happened in September is Mrs. Linda Drumm's two week visit!!!!!!!

She arrived on a Sunday afternoon. Mason left that morning for Tokyo to pick her up from the airport. I stayed in Mito to pace and wait anxiously for their arrival back home. So naturally, I went for some last minute shopping to ease my excited mind. I did occasionally stalk Mason's whereabouts using the “find friends” application. Perhaps a bit over the top, I know, but it beats annoying Mason to death with “Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Oh good your at the airport. Are you on your way yet? Are you close? How much longer?”

Their reunion wasn’t as “movie-esque” as one may assume. They had to make a VERY rushed “Hello! We can’t exchange your cash because we only have 2 minutes to make the bus. Let’s go!”

My reunion with Linda was a tad cuter. Using my handy named stalker application, I lost all patience and walked out to meet them at the bus stop.

The first week of Linda’s visit, we stayed in Mito. She conveniently arrived before the day of a national holiday. So Mason and I had the Monday off to spend with her and show her the town. Of course, things couldn’t go that smoothly. A lovely typhoon blew in to greet Linda. We dared it and decided to take a bus to the train station. There we just walked around, shopped, and treated her to some McD’s before returning home.
Mason and Linda carry on their photo booth tradition. 
On Tuesday and Wednesday, Linda attended school with Mason.

Linda with her school name tag. 
I wish I could show you the adorable photographs and videos, but again, we have to protect the kiddoes and that isn’t allowed.

On Thursday, Linda came to my junior high during the afternoon. She got to watch me teach a seventh grade class and a ninth grade class. It was really cool to have her there. I got to see a side of my principle that I had not seen yet. The hospitality and kindness he extended surprised me. And the praises he had to her of me stunned me. I was seriously paralyzed with shock by the nice things he had translated to say to her.
My school's Kendo club! (Linda & my pose have nothing to do with kendo, but hey) 
Anywho, on Friday, Mason and I left our schools at half day to hit the tracks with Linda. We rode the shinkansen to Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo. 

In Hiroshima, we stayed at a ryokan (a Japanese style inn) and we went to the Peace Park and Hiroshima Castle.



The main reason we wanted to visit Hiroshima was to experience the city's history. Below are pictures of our visit to the A-dome, or the the Genbaku (A-Bomb) Dome which was the only structure left standing near the bomb’s hypocentre.

Mason, pretending he can read the stone. 




The Dome sits next to a river that hosts frequent boat outings for those who are interested. 
Linda throwing up the traditional Japanese peace sign!
We also dropped by Hiroshima Castle. 
I think this is a view from the top. We've lost track of which castle's were what...
After Hiroshima, we took the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Osaka. Osaka had a really fun downtown river area where we took little boat rides and enjoyed the lights.



If you want to see the best dog instagram profile ever, check out Linda's "three_dog_inn

The next day we hit some shops and, like any Drumm vacation, ate some burgers at the Hard Rock Osaka!


And while the Hard Rock was delicious, Osaka is most known for is it’s castle.



We came across a group of old men outside the castle. It was a bit strange because they must have been a part of some bird club. I don't know. But they were insistent that I take my photo with one of their birds.

It also happened to be the day of my birthday. Happy birthday to me.


After Osaka, was Kyoto!
Kyoto was our favorite city. It’s beautiful, and there is simply too much to see. One would need a full week to come close to seeing all of the shrines and sites in Kyoto. We were lucky enough to be there on the day a large flea market was being held outside of one of the shrines.

Gotta love this woman's face.
We also saw Kinkakuji and the Nijo Palace. 



And more Castles...



Like I said, there's so many things to do, and Linda really enjoyed just walking around the streets and seeing day to day "normal" Japan life.



Yes, A McDonald's delivery tri-cycle!


The final place we checked out in Kyoto was Arashiyama where we got to see all of these wild monkeys hanging out.

Some slept...
It was a tad scary. There are a lot of warning signs and rules regarding how to stand, look, and behave when in the presence of the monkeys. And I tell you what, when someone tells you “not to look at the monkey in the eye, your attention suddenly becomes so focused on NOT looking that you can’t tell if your looking at them or just thinking about looking at them and then a nice little panic rises when they get this freaky little “ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME” expression… whew.. it was quite the adventure.


You see us smiling but we're all thinking, "Please don't rip my face off."
 (I'm wearing sun guards on my arms to help prevent my eczema from reacting from the sun)

Behind us is the mountain (big hill?) we climbed to get to the monkeys. 
Mason sporting one of his beloved Tom Bihn bags.
And a view from above!


Finally, we ended up in Tokyo. 


We showed Linda Shibuya Intersection (yes, we went again) and then attempted to go to TGIF’s. Sadly they were booked till 9pm. AGH!! Not to worry! We spotted a Shakey’s Pizza and had a fun little game of “I Spy” from the second story window seats in Shibuya. We walked around the Imperial Palace and also went up the Government Building to see Tokyo city from one of the highest points.


It was so nice having Linda with us. In an odd way, it felt so natural to have her in Japan. And when we hugged that first time, it all of a sudden didn’t feel like it had been so long as I had felt it was the day before.  Yet, when she left. Mason and I both cried for a solid 30 minutes. I have only seen Mason cry a few times. This was the first time we really cried together. I don’t know how to explain what I mean without getting too girly on you. All I can say is that it was a sad site to see us painfully buy our bus tickets for Mito, climb aboard, and watch people get on with our puppy eyes, crocodile tears, and tissues. We were more homesick than ever for the rest of our family.

 We are so glad she came and hopeful she’ll make a second trip. Maybe "Papa Bear" can muster up enough 'umph' to get on the plane next time too! We're hopeful.  Until then, we’re counting down the days 'till December.



No comments:

Post a Comment