Wednesday, November 20, 2013

October Church Retreat

Carmon here!

 Our first Sunday back after Linda had come to visit us, our preacher, Atsushi, asked if we were planning to attend the annual church retreat. We were surprised he asked us, because, honestly, we had thought we dodged the deadline. It was about $75 a person to go and Mason and I didn’t really love the idea of spending that money on an overnight trip right after paying for our trip with Linda. So we declined politely explaining that we couldn’t spend the money. We were surprised at how much it bummed him to hear us say that.

To get to the point, it got us thinking and we discussed how we are so willing to invest in these trips to see the country of Japan, but then find ourselves saying “NO THANKS” when asked to invest in a get away with the church. We decided to call Atsushi that night to see if the offer still stood for us to attend. He accepted.

We were able to help out with the car pool, because (oh yeah, I forgot to tell you) WE GOT A CAR. (a lovely birthday gift from my sweet hubby). We got to provide a ride for Esther, Atsushi’s daughter, and Hannah,  a fellow AET. It was nice to be in the car with folks we don’t get to talk with often.
Our (new to us) used Lapin. The yellow tag indicates that it is a k-kar. Meaning that I am taller than the little thing. lol

We arrived at our lakeside ryokan/hotel destination and set out to socializing. The trip comprised of “adventure” (aka beginner level hiking), games, worship, and some really good conversation.


Many of us were really encouraged and Mason and I were blessed to get to know some people from the church that we had never spent time with before. 

The guys Mason roomed with: Stephen, David and Rich Little (our guest speaker for the weekend)
(Side note: Nertz is definitely best when played with Japanese friends. The most hilarious phrases and noises are made during the craziness of the game.)

I’m really excited about the relationships that have been established and I’m looking forward to the good times ahead.

Furthermore, I’m thankful for the relationships that this retreat also nourished. It inspired some conversation with friends that helped me understand them better and know where I can trust them with my spiritual concerns. Two people in particular have been especially encouraging in the last couple months, and this trip really helped break us open. 

Overall what I’m trying to share is that Mason and I have been encouraged. Since the trip, getting up on Sunday mornings is something we look forward to more than we did before. I also have found myself trying to be more intentional in making time to attend an EBC class. (EBC = English Bible Class. This is pretty much the same as Let's Start Talking. Teaching English by using the Bible as the textbook).

 Thank you for your prayers. Mason and I believe the Spirit interceded to have us go on this retreat and it has forced us to discuss some things we have been neglecting. Please continue to pray for us as we move forward with our mission.



No comments:

Post a Comment